Monday, August 5, 2013

Weekend Shenanigans: State Fair & Moving Out!

Hi lovelies!

It was certainly an eventful weekend for me. I found out some disappointing news, went to the Wisconsin State Fair, and (mostly) moved out of my apartment. The disappointing news was that I am not able to move directly to another apartment in Madison, but instead have to move home (much to the excitement of my grandparents and much to my dismay). I really really wanted to find an apartment here and just rent a UHaul truck and do the moving myself, then get a job (or two) here while looking for a "real", full time job (which has been a ridiculous pain in the behind). But alas, that is not the plan and as annoying as it is, I'm just going to have to use this as a motivational tool to get myself a job in Madison and move back.

Besides the obvious, why is job hunting such a pain? Since I am not a business, retailing, or fashion major, finding a job in corporate retail seems pretty much impossible. I graduated from a great university, have some good experience on my resume, and have a serious drive for the industry. Does that matter to anyone? Apparently not. And I know, the market is difficult and I should be doing other things to get a job, but it just seems like nothing I do matters. I hope this little blog will develop into something I will post on my resume and LinkedIn profile, but I haven't quite hit a stride I am comfortable with yet. I can't get any feedback from recruiters as to why I haven't been a good fit for a job yet (not even like, "we needed someone with super duper Excel skills") so I don't know what I need to change or what I need to do differently out of the million and two things I could change or do differently. Ahhh! It's so frustrating! I've interviewed for three different positions at the corporate offices of the retail store I worked at for the past year and I can barely get the recruiter to email me back now. I just..... ugh.

Moving onto more cheerful topics.... This weekend was the opening weekend of the Wisconsin State Fair. I went with my boyfriend on Friday and met up with his family, who were there for the dairy cow show. After the show, my boyfriend and I went around to the different food stands and started sampling food and oh-so-refreshing beverages... We bought a dessert from a bakery stand, thinking it would be a manageable portion for two people to share, but for $5 we could have fed an entire family of four. Good thing we started with dessert, because we were both full after that! We also tried a porkchop sandwich from a local barbeque stand, cheese curds (because Wisconsin, duh), and a variety of local beers, which is never a bad thing. We had a lot of fun just hanging out and catching up with friends, and I had a really really really good time (cue Macklemore?).


A little education for your Monday... ha ha 

(I swear I drank other beers. Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss, for one (#myweakness), and also Summer Shandy. Miller Lite is kind of a joke for the boyfriend and I because that's how we met... he had a Miller Lite he didn't want, and I couldn't pass up a free drink. Because I was a poor college student, obviously. Still am, now I'm just a poor post grad without a job. Ugh.)

On Saturday I had to deal with moving all of my stuff out of my apartment. Originally I thought I would be going home with all of my stuff, but my parents rented out a cargo van and it only had two seats so I'm in Madison for a few more days. I had done a little bit of the legwork during the previous couple of days so the entire process was relatively painless. We had everything boxed up and in the van after about five hours! I have some useful tips that I have picked up over the past few years while moving to and from school that I will post later this week!

So now I am living in a very bare bones apartment, which I am kind of loving. My room seems really big since there's nothing it in, but it is also very clean feeling because I only have the stuff there that I will use daily. When I get a place of my own (well, I should also do this in my room at home), I am going to strive for that minimal feeling again. Minimal, but not bare. I also have my rack full of clothes out in my room, which I am also loving. I really want to have a small rack where I can showcase new clothes or pieces I am loving. It's a trend I've seen a lot recently in blogger homes and on Pinterest (stay tuned for an inspiration post!).

Well, this has been an exciting post. Lots of words and not a lot of pictures (fail). But! Some excitement is that I am now part of the Midwest Style Bloggers network! :) I feel like it's a big step for me... Check out my fancy new button in my sidebar!


xx, Amy

PS. Also linking up with Sami for Weekend Shenanigans


2 comments:

Jennie said...

So sorry for the bad news and not getting your apartment! Hope it all works out :)

Liz @ Fitness Blondie said...

Girl I know all about the job hunting. I am like you, my degree is not finished yet, but I only have a semester left. I have a TON of experience and I worked my ass off on the perfect cover letting outlining my drive. It's just tough out there. It really is. You just have to keep going. Like you said, maybe being back with your grandparents will give you even more of a drive. Good luck, keep pushing on!!!