Monday, March 11, 2013

Weekend Recap (Link Up!)



Well. My weekend was an interesting one to say the least. Believe me, it was fun, but it was definitely a lot of new experiences for me! Here's why:

So I'm a girl originally from a Chicago suburb. I currently go to school in Wisconsin, America's Dairyland. I love it and it may or may not be related to my passion for all things cheesy (and to a lesser extent, dairy-y in general. Yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, ice cream... it's all good.). Basically, what it boils down to is that I am more of a "city girl" than a country girl and I'm a lot a little out of my element when I'm faced with.... nature-y things. So imagine the surprise of all of my friends and loved ones when I tell them I am dating...... a dairy farmer. Most people are kind of in disbelief when I first tell them (I'm an Art History and Material Culture major and obsessed with anything design related - fashion, interiors, architecture, you name it - for reference) but then they realize how I could happily eat cheese for every meal of every day and it all seems to make sense. Now, my boyfriend is a great guy. I am a very happy girl with him. He wooed me on the night we met by telling me about his summer abroad in Europe and discussing European architecture with me. Plus he's all smart about dairy things, like cheese. Sold. Anyways, since he's a dairy farmer he was selling a heifer in a university dairy dale and I got to accompany him to see firsthand what happens at one of these events.

The boyfriend got into town on Friday night and he picked me up to go check out the cattle at the sale. I'm not sure what I was checking out exactly, so there's some room for progress in that area. We walked around, talked to some people, and decided we were starving so we headed to dinner. I am loving that we do fish frys every Friday - I can't get enough. Pretty much every one we've gone to has been delicious, but I have to say I'm partial to frys that have a very battered fish. I've been trying to establish a baseline for the frys by getting cod every time, but I have been told that I have to try a new type of fish next Friday (Well, okay then Mr. Bossypants). Everything after dinner was a low-key night, so I'll get to the exciting part: the sale!

Saturday was devoted to all things bovine. We got to the sale in the late morning and stayed there until the mid afternoon. It was the first time I've ever seen an auction, and it was definitely something else. A whole new way to shop, as I kept joking throughout the day (I hope that is as funny to everyone else as it was to me... Oops). I mostly followed the boyfriend around all day and tried not to get underfoot under-hoof (ha!). I did want to pet all of the cows for sale, but I figured that would totally mark me as a newbie so I kept my hands to myself. After the sale, we went out to eat with his friends and hit up the after party at a local restaurant. I'd say that considering both my boyfriend and I were buzzing around separately talking to people by the end of the night was a pretty big deal. Guess I can hold my own in a crowd :) Also, we totally failed to get a picture at any point of the day (even though we are making an effort to take more pictures together). I even went so far as to making sure we were color coordinated for maximum couple-y-ness. Gah. Maybe another time.

Sunday.... Sunday was recovery day. I got to sleep in (hooray for not opening at work!) and then went to work in the afternoon. Once I got home I ate a copious amount of mac & cheese and proceeded to fall into a cheese-induced coma. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

So - hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into the life of the girl behind the blog! Like I mentioned earlier, I sucked at taking pictures (even on Instagram). Well, I guess I took a picture of a martini and my stack from Thursday night but that doesn't really fit in with the theme of the post... I'll do better next week, promise!

No comments: